10 WAYS TO DRINK MORE WATER
Did you know that 60% of your body is water?
It’s therefore hardly surprising that how much water we drink can have a profound effect on our health. As well as keeping us moving and healthy in general, staying properly hydrated can also contribute to an improved mood, weight loss and glowing skin.
The benefits of drinking more water become even more apparent if you’re an athlete. Water makes up 75% of our muscle tissue so staying properly hydrates contributes to strength, energy and an increased athletic performance. The benefits to drinking water really are endless!
It is recommended that we aim to drink at least eight glasses of water a day, which is about two litres. But with today’s busy schedules and distractions it’s often hard to make sure we’re reaching this target. To help you reach your water goals, we’ve collected our favourite tips and advice for staying hydrated. Cheers!
1) Drink a glass of water right now! Walk to the tap and have a quick glass of water now to kick-start your metabolism, begin the process of flushing out toxins from your body and make your mind sharper.
2) Keep water in front of you. If you can see water in your eye line you’re more likely to sip it throughout the day. Sit at a desk for work? Why not keep a litre bottle of water in front of you and aim to finish it by your lunch break?
3) Time yourself. Buy a 1.5 litre bottle of water and write with permanent marker pen your goals for the day. Stick to these hourly goals and you’ll be sure to hit your water target.
4) Infuse your water flavours. Try adding lemon, mint, cucumber, orange or even some summer berries to your water to make it a little more interesting. Add your chosen flavour and leave your water in the fridge for an hour to really intensify the flavour.
5) Add water to your routine. Drink a glass of water before every meal. Not only will this contribute to your overall water intake, but will also make you feel fuller quicker; great for if you’re trying to watch your weight.
6) Eat your water. Not all of our 8 glasses of water have to come from drinking; we can also eat our water as well! Cucumber, watermelon, iceberg lettuce, celery, tomatoes, strawberries and many other fruit and vegetables are over 90% water! Anyone for salad?
7) Use your phone. There are several apps designed to help you drink more water. Try Waterlogged or Plant Nanny. If you don’t like apps, why not set an alarm on your phone every 2 hours to have a drink?
8) Save some pennies. On a night out? Why not swap one alcoholic drink for a glass of water? If you swapped one glass of wine for a glass of water a week, in a year you could save a staggering £260!
9) Reward yourself. Hit your 2 litre water target every day for a week? Treat yourself to something nice… maybe a fancy new water bottle!
10) Stay hydrated when you exercise. When you’re putting in the lengths for your Aspire Channel Swim, keep a water bottle at the end of your lane. Make sure you’re taking regular sips as you exercise.